Friday, March 9, 2007

Bill and Chuntee part 2

March 3-6

Staying with Bill and Chuntee has been AMAZING. I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to travelling in Asia, or a better home to be welcomed into. I'm not sure if I mentioned but Bill is about 72 yrs old and we already get along like he's my adopted cantankerous grandfather. It is also obvious that he's an incredibly intelligent and ambitious scientist, and we've had many stimulating discussions surrounding our common backgrounds, and have received some great advice regarding my upcoming entrance to graduate school. He also played football for the Toronto Argonauts, and is still in great shape- I see him up early every morning working out in his office doing sit ups, push ups, jumpkin jacks, etc. Very neat guy... And Chuntee is SOOO kind and helpful! We spent a couple of days visiting places around the area, yes we went to the university yesterday and I was amazed at how at home I always feel on a university campus no wonder where it is in the world! (I think I've defintetly found my calling in life-long studentdom, now I just have to marry rich to support it!! haha kidding:-) We went to some FANTASTIC Thai night markets from which I have GREAT pictures when I have time to upload them, we saw monkeys and a Chinese temple and the beach and all kinds of things!! (I feel like I could spend my entire trip on the internet writing about everything! Ha ha but that would take away from time to see more things!)

For exercise I did yoga in my bedroom and I worked out at a the REALLY ghetto gym with Chuntee's son Jay in the housing complex here (I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life it was like the water I was drinking was going straight out my pores and I thought my bum would slide right off the bike seat.) Then we jumped in the pool and played around for a while- I haven't spent time with kids in so long I feel like a total dork when I try to hang out with them now haha, Jay is 10 and when he gets going he is very excited about speaking english even though I have a hard time understanding him sometimes.


I also went for a 2hr Thai massage from a blind masseuse (for about $6)... it was insanely good, I told him (via Chuntee who was translating) that he should come to Canada and do massage for our athletes! Chuntee has prepared some amazing Thai food, so far my favorite is the glass noodle salad (I forget the thai name but she wrote out the recipe for me in Thai and we translated it together into English...) and of course Sum Tam (green papaya salad). I think I have tried 10 new fruits in the past 3 days including mangosteen, Thai mango, shampoo fruit, starfruit, Thai pineapple, green mango, guava... the list goes on. It is my alternative to metamucil which is great since I didn't bring any!!

Chuntee and Bill also have a spectacular garden including fruit trees, chili trees, and over 500 orchids and hibiscus'; I have been learning a little bit about the flowers since, much to Bill's dismay, I know jack shit about flower species right now. Haha. And yes mom I've been very neat and polite and all of things you are going to ask. I have been racking my brain for a gift to get Bill and Chuntee but it's not like you can just pick up a bottle of wine around here and Bill is very picky about his beloved plants so I'm still stuck.... Will think of something good though don't worry!!

Today I practiced taking the Saengthaew (Song- tau) around town by myself- it is the most common form of transport in much of SE Asia and consists of an open pick up truck with 2 bench seats facing each other in the back and a canopy overtop. It is incredibly convenient because you can literally flick your finger wherever you are and it will pull over and pick you up, provided you know which colour truck to get on. Then, you just press a little doorbell on the roof whenever you want to get off. I went to the beach in town today which is a Thai resort beach (where everyone from Bangkok and surround goes on the weekend) and apparently I was a neverending source of interest because I was THE ONLY white person on the beach. Also of interest, Thai people do not wear bathing suits because it is considered disrespectful, as such, many men are wading around in the ocean in FULL clothing including jeans and long sleeved shirts.

I'm leaving Bill's tomorrow morning on my way to the town of Trat. Trat is a touristy centre because it is on the way to an island Ko Chang, and is also en route to a popular border to Cambodia, where I am heading. On Tuesday morning, I will head to the border of Thailand and Cambodia at Hat Lek (Thailand) and cross to Krong Ko Kong (Camb) and catch another bus there to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. I expect to meet other travellers in Trat with whom to I will travel to Cambodia. (check out the map below for an idea). Phnom Penh should be very interesting as it is very touristy for backpackers now, but is the former headquarters of the Khmer Rouge empire. There is a genocide museum in the building (S-21) that used to house the concentration camp. Very historical, though chilling; I am interested to see it.

http://www.thailandmaps.net/trat/trat_map.html

No comments: