Sunday, March 18, 2007

Si Phan Don to Savannakhet, Laos

Just wanted to touch base and say I'm in Savananakhett, Laos (lovely and quaint little town on the Mekong directly across from Thailand). Had a fun time on the 4000 islands (Si Phan Don) in the Mekong Delta of southern Laos with a big group of people I met (Brits, some Irish, some Aussies, French Canadians and a Swedish girl) it's a SMALL place when you stay there for a few days, especially because the "beach" or swimming area is about 10m2 (almost as big as Bondi, haha) so you get to know everyone pretty fast!! We went kayaking around the islands, took a boat to see some endangered freshwater dolphins (irrawady dolphins in case anyone's interested!), went to see a few awesome waterfalls, and rented bikes and peddled around the winding paths and bridges connecting the islands which was my personal favorite. I also got a fantastic sunburn, and have apparently come down with some travellers diarahhea as well. Thanks for the sensitive digestive system dad!!!! argh hahha. I have been following advice in my travel book and avoiding fruit, milk, coffee etc and sticking to rice, bread, and lots of water. if it doesn't clear up in a couple days I'll take a course of Cipro. Will let you know how it goes, bit of a pain but such is life on the road!!

I am currently travelling with a LOVELY swedish girl I met on the island named Sandra. Was nice to be with a big group for a few days but even nicer to get back out on our own. We are having a fantastic time together since we are both on our own and are thoroughly enjoying the intelligent conversation and company. She is planning to study international business in Copenhagen this fall. We are heading a bit further north in Laos tomorrow and planning on spending a few days exploring a 7km long limestone cave (you can get a boat through it and apparently hike/bike around it too...). I was hoping to move on to Vietnam from there and then back into Northern Laos in a couple weeks but it will depend if I can get money out in this town or not (there are NO ATM's in most of Laos!!!) Trying to plan travel in southeast asia is a real crapshoot and everything changes because of your visiting Visa dates, and whether or not there is any place to take out money where you are... etc etc. Hindsight is truly 20/20, but I'm learning not to beat myself about ANY decision I've made because you really are doing what you think is best given the information you have at the time. I've also noticed that whenever I think things have gone "wrong" or not according to my plan, they always end up to be amazing or at least a great learning experience anyways- I've decided to adopt this as my new approach to life in general. :-) NO worries!

So far Laos is great, people are AWESOME and friendly, much nicer than my experience of Cambodia but then again I was only in the tourist areas there and I've heard that the rural parts of Cambodia are exceptional. Will update again once I've made it through the caves!

No comments: