Friday, March 9, 2007

Staying with Bill & Chuntee in Bang Saen

March 2
I caught a local bus and then a skytrain in Bangkok to the main Eastern bus terminal, then ran around the bus terminal/side street saying the name of the place I needed to go (Nong Mon) and a guy directed me to the appropriate bus. The busride was a few hours because we stopped all over the place to pick up passengers ( more like herd them on haha). I REALLY have to learn to stop drinking water before I get onto long bus trips or else my bladder will REALLY suffer on this trip!! The bus ride got really fun because I was the only "white guy" on the bus heading into a completely Thai area (no more English signs except for the road signs dad :-) so I think everyone thought I was completely lost. When we arrived, I was about to pee my pants so I exploded off the bus asking "toilet?toilet?" and I used my first Asian toilet out back of a gas station, it was quite mysterious with the basin of water and bucket to rinse it down and such, at least I've already gotten accustomed to bringing by own TP everywhere so I was safe this time! I called Chunte from a payphone and waited for her to come pick me up while lots of friendly Thai's asked me where I needed to go (in very broken English) and I just kept saying I had a friend coming to pick me up.

I arrived to a spectacular Thai meal already on the table in Bill and Chuntee's gorgeous home!! Bill is very talkative and friendly and they have a great house in a secure compound/neighborhood near the beach town of Bang Saen (with air conditioned rooms- yay!!) and we had a fab dinner and fresh mangoes for dessert which grow year round on the tree out in the backyard.

No comments: